Subject: Re: You Can't Put A Price On Some Information
From: Andy Stevens <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:42:57 -0800

If you think your that your tapes and the informatin in them are worth
$60.00, then charge that and get on with business.  You can ask everyone in
the world and they will have an opinion, not neccessarily with checkbook in
hand and waiting with baited breath for it's release.

It's been my experience that some tapes costing in excess of $50.00 haven't
been worth the shipping and handling and other tapes at $19.95 have been
worth hundreds of times their price in information.  Production elements
certainly make a tape worth more, you would think, but production elements
aside, it's the content.

My opinion
Andy Stevens

At 07:52 AM 3/5/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>>  can't believe how many people believe the $60 price is too high.  I really
>>> believe everyone knows that it is a realistic, competitive price but
they are
>>> trying to "haggle" the makers down if they can.  Everyone knows that other
>>> lightwave tapes cost about $50 each.  Books about Lightwave cost that
much, a
>>> subscription to Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User combined cost that
much,
>>> and yes, tutorial tapes cost that much.  The $60 is a fair price: nice
effort
>>> to get them to come down though.  
>>
>>I don't think the $60 is to high... I mean come on.. the guy has to make 
>>some money! Now, if it is only costing him $5 per tape, then I would 
>>complain... 
>
>My father does some tape duplication for several people when they need it in
>the form of training or sales video's usually, and the occassional school
>play.  Thus they are small quantities....so would this video, so
>_similar_are most likely.  I am not sure where they said they were from,
>different parts of the counrty would have different prices obviousely due to
>location, and number of tape duplication places.  More dup. places, the
>cheaper the prices...however this pricing is generally true for the Central
>Flor. region....
>
>For the entire work of shooting and editing a school play, this includes the
>school's mark up - it is about $18, if I remeber right.  Of that - he has
>calculated $5 for the price of the tape, the cover(not cardboard, but a hard
>plastic), and the wear and tear on his duplication decks.  That is what a
>small duplicating company would generally charge according to him when I
>asked him.  
>
>So I guess you _could_ complain becasue it costing him about $5 per tape....
>
>
>
>
Ulti-Media Productions       http:/www.skagit.com/um
P.O. Box 444                         [email-masked] 
Anacortes, WA 98221
1-360-293-7044  1-360-299-2524 or Fax 1-360-299-2525